LAS VEGAS – On May 15, Republican candidate for Governor Jared Fisher laid out his forward-looking education policy. The plan is a 10-point plan designed to ensure our schools are funded efficiently and adequately, every child in Nevada receives access to equal education, instruction from the best teachers, and skills for the jobs of the future. Achieving this goal starts with Fishers SWEEP Program—Statewide Executive Efficiency Program, an in-depth analysis initiative looking at efficiencies in the state-wide school system budget and spending formulas.
“Budgets and funding are the most frequent and nagging reoccurring issue every legislative session and every school year,” said Fisher. “We cannot say “if I put in x more dollars, I’ll get y results” if we don’t know if the current dollars are earning a positive return on investment. If we keep doing more of the same, we will get more of the same.”
Fisher’s plan has 10-key parts:
- Empowering families to engage in their child’s education.
- SWEEP Program—Statewide Executive Efficiency Program. Based on this analysis we can begin to look at the way to better fund schools.
- Support ESA school vouchers.
- The reorganization of the state’s largest school district look more autonomy in smaller school districts
- Offering two-generation learning opportunities for parents through after-school classes.
- Hands-on apprenticeships, trades training and internships should be core to the educational experience.
- Support for Students by providing access to services that address in and out-of-classroom factors.
- Support Teachers: Teachers are the driving force in our education system. I will look at salaries, personal development and accountability in the treatment of our teachers.
- Support school competition. Our public schools must be competitive and on par with the other school choices to accommodate an effective school choice program.
- Support a Sports, Arts, and Music initiative in public schools.
“Education solutions are complex, and they are as much a moral issue as they are a government issue. As a state, we must place education at the top of all our priority lists,” said Fisher.
About Fisher for Nevada
Fisher for Nevada is the official campaign of Jared Fisher, 2018 candidate for Governor of Nevada. Jared Fisher is a business owner and Southern Nevada resident who is running on a platform of positive, productive leadership for a “Healthy” Nevada. To learn more, visit the Fisher for Nevada website at www.fisherforneveda.com.